logo fine Fine Tastes of Modena per stampa Fine Tastes of Modena

Parmigiano Reggiano

Parmigiano Reggiano, not being an exclusive product of Modena, holds an important place in our local cuisine and also creates a perfect combination with another famous product of Modena: Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena.  
Parmigiano Reggiano is a hard, granular, cured cheese.   A piece of Parmigiano Reggiano contains only about 30% water while the remaining 70% is given by nutrients.   Precisely for its high nutritional value, Parmigiano Reggiano is essential for a healthy balanced diet offering a high calcium absorption.   It also has a high phosphorus content.   Imagine; 50 grams (1.76 oz) of Parmigiano Reggiano contain 50% of the daily requirement of phosphorus for adults.   But that's not all.   During the long curing process, the casein as milk protein undergoes a transformation that makes Parmigiano Reggiano rich in free amino acids which are easily assimilated by the body.
Since Parmigiano Reggiano is lactose-free, it may be safely eaten by people who are lactose intolerant.